Followers

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

How great is Asheville?

I have never met a person who did not like Asheville, Actually, I rarely don't hear "Love Asheville." And why not? The vibe there is wonderful. So laid back. So retro. Artsy. Hippie. Nice and cool in the summer. Cold ass freezing in the winter. And the food. Oh, the food. Every unique kind imaginable. One restaurant better than the next. Recently, I found Curate. A Spanish, Tapas, Eclectic (aren't they all in Asheville?) Wonderful gastro experience. We began with fried eggplant drizzled in wild mountain apiaries honey and garnished with rosemary. I could have had three servings (I hate the tapas part). Then, of course, it was time for galician style octopus served warm with sea salt (I have octopus almost every night...don't you?), add olive oil, spanish paprika and yukon gold potato puree. So unique. So flavorful. So, you've never had spanish paprika? On to lamb skewer marinated in Moorish spices and served with homemade pickles. Who'd a thought that the pickles would be the secret to the good. If you try this at home, be sure to use Moorish spices. Lessish spices are just too mundane. We finished off the mini-feast with toasted bread topped with fresh tomato, olive oil and manchego cheese. Ok, not dessert, but just as fulfilling. When next I am in Asheville, I hope to return to Curate. But can I? There are so many great places to experience and I am but just one eating man. Oh, and did I mention what a difference a really good bottle of wine makes to the overall enjoyment of a meal. ALWAYS splurge on a good bottle. Best investment you will make all meal long.
Miles to go and pounds to eat before I sleep. Thanks Steph. TEM

No comments:

Post a Comment